The Thingamagoop 2 is a handmade, analog + digital synthesizer you control with light.
What’s new in Thingamagoop 2?
– Analog VCO controlled by photocell.
– Digital mode with sample and hold, Arpeggios, noise, and bit crush effects.
– Open source, Arduino code so you can program your own sounds!
– Analog mode with all the sounds of the original Thingamagoop.
– Controllable “LEDacle” – Ramp and random waveforms with rate control.
– New modulators – Square wave amplitude modulator and triangle wave pulse width modulator.
– Tough, stomp box type body with silk screened graphics in 3 different styles.
– Easy to access battery – No more screws.
– Much fuller and louder speaker.
– CV out. Control your vintage synth or modular with light!
– Kit now comes with a pre-drilled enclosure.
– Still assembled in Austin, Texas by Dr. Bleep and friends.
There is no longer a separate Thingamakit, just a kit version of the Thingamagoop 2.
The kit is still great for beginners with its detailed instructions
and photos of each step. Advanced users can taking advantage of the Arduino integration, control voltage in and out, or just bend it like crazy!
Available with or without an enclosure. The kit with enclosure includes a silk-screened face panel of your choice and laser cut face.
The Thingamagoop has a 1/8″ jack on the top for control voltage out. Here’s Dr. Bleep and his band, The Hearts and the Minds, using the Thingamagoop 2 to control a Moog Prodigy.
Note that the output is not 1 Volt/Octave but you can use it to make some ridiculous sound!
The Thingamagoop 2 uses Arduino to control the analog VCO as well as the LEDacle. You don’t need an Arduino board to use the Thingamagoop 2, only if you want to reprogram it to make your own ridiculous sounds!